Solar-Gem is the Australian Innovator of the Year 2010, and have won the Australian International Design Award 2010, the Australian Powerhouse Museum Award 2010 and the Tech23 Award 2010, for having the biggest impact to the global community.
Solar-Gem is also part of the "Australian Technology Showcase", recognizing our innovative set of products.
Solar-Gem aims to "light-up the world" by providing affordable off-grid energy based on clean solar technologies to the 1.6 billion people still without electricity and lighting in rural and regional populations.
Electricity is one of the critical inputs for overall development of a country and is one of the main infrastructure requirements for development. Despite this, much of the world’s population is without this basic need and rely on gasoline, candles, and firewood for light. This is not only effecting limited fossil fuels but impacting significantly on the environment in a detrimental manner.
Formed in 2008 the Solar-Gem team brings over 200 man-years of experience in designing and deploying off-grid solar power systems in developed and developing nations, industrial design, banking, volume electronic manufacturing and telecommunications.
The Solar-Gem team is ideally equipped and positioned to design and deploy reliable and affordable solar powered off-grid lighting systems anywhere in the world.
- Designed for flexible installation and does not require trained technicians. The lights can be easily screwed to walls or ceilings, and can also be tied to posts or ceiling rafters with readily available materials such as simple cable ties, string or wire.
- Solid state LEDs are impact and stock resistant. The all encompassing seal gasket makes them completely weather proof for outdoor applications and monsoons.
- The battery housing is impact and load resistant allowing multiple units to be stacked. The moulding features integrated handles for ease of mobility, and can also withstand being used as a stool or seating.
Modular & Expandable
- A single modular can power up to 6 LED lights each with independent dimming
- Modules can be added to suit the needs of the required application. For example, modules can be added to power small appliances such as an electric hotplate for cooking.
- Stackable modular design of battery unit
- SolarGem has the capability to be used not only in developing communities but also various applications for industry such as agriculture. (provide power to a remote location)
- Another feature is USB capability to charge mobile phones and laptops, thus increasing the usage of the product
- Solar off grid solution
- Provides cleaner energy eliminating indoor air pollution resulting from the use of solid fuels. (Indoor solid fuels emissions claim the lives of 1.5 million people each year, SolarGem can help prevent this)
- Provides a safe lighting alternative to naked flame or portable generators
- Improves education – by providing lighting
- Improves overall health
- Uplifting and empowering for communities
- 25% cheaper than using fuelwood, charcoal and kerosene
- 150% cost saving over existing lighting applications
Sophisticated Tariff System, Battery Management & Safety
- A tariff system with USB token and Bluetooth capability for remote meter reading is built into the battery housing
- Provicdes a predicta ble payback for capital led deployment in the developing world
- State of charge monitoring
- Proprietary management algorithm to extend battery life
- Integrated LCD display for system status
- Integrated automatic electrical protection for overload and lightning
- Sophisticated LED thermal management to extend lifetime